Friday, December 8, 2006

A mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace, where hydrogen is built into helium at a temperature of millions of degrees...

So where is that big ol' orange spherical thing way up in the sky? I do believe I've caught a couple quick glimpses over the course of this past month, but an ash-colored sky has become the norm around here, to say the least. It definately has an unavoidable hypnogogic effect; I really do want to sleep all the time- especially during the so-called 'daylight' hours. I have come to the conclusion that Moscow is the City That Almost Never Sleeps (but good luck catching the metro between 1:30 and 5:30), and so, effectively, there are more streetlights surrounding my apartment building than in the entire Okinski Rayone, with double the wattage, I'm sure. Additionally, all the pollution this damn city emits into the air positively captures all that artificial electric light and clinging to it with a death grip, so it never escapes into the atmosphere. All this rambling, distracted describing is just to further suggest that the conditions in the day and night time are arguably rather negligible and so I shall try to use that as an excuse for becoming entirely nocturnal these days (hence, it's 12:40 AM and I'm not particularly tired, though in 12 hours' time, you can bet I'll be struggling to appear coherent, a generally losing battle down a slippery slope). I really do hope I'll catch some sun while I'm home, though I may just splurge and try one of those disgusting beds- I know generally they're not healthy, but just once or twice probably won't kill me any more than light deprivation disorder, right?

No comments: