Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Unknowingly Unrequited

Lo, my chirping sparrow, my songbird of life;

Won’t you grace me with your presence and bestow a kindly word;

To put to rest my anguish and assuage my piercing strife;

And blessed be my mortal ears to the sweetest song they heard.

The golden crest and wing of down cover gently my resting eyes;

Within your radiant light and mollifying warmth I long to be;

Such justice disarms me deeply and strips of all disguise;

So vulnerable I stand before you, a shameful sight to see.

A broken fool in rags and chains, I present myself to you;

Waiting to be swept up with the debris of yesterday;

I drug myself till senseless on what you cannot do;

And block my ringing eardrums to what you will not say.

My dear sweet singing, valiant aviary joy;

Flee not from my aching breastbone and seek not to be coy.

No comments: